Saturday, January 3, 2009

Two Funerals

On each of the last 2 days of 2008 Belinda and I attended funerals. In some ways the funerals represented opposite ends of a continuum.

One funeral was for Zela Holle, a member of our congregation who was in her late 70's. I'm sure I had met Zela, but one of the problems with being so new in this community is that I really didn't know her. Zela died on Christmas morning following complications from surgery.

The other funeral was for Zac Thomas, the infant grandson of Ray & Marilyn Thomas, also members of our church. Zac, the male half of a set of twins born just twelve weeks ago, died of SIDS just three days after Christmas. Although we have not yet met Zac's parents, we went to that funeral just to stand along side our friends Ray & Marilyn.

I suppose grief itself is the same wherever it casts its dark shadow. Grief is grief, no matter where it is felt or how it is caused; it is the hole left in our lives by the absence of someone we will not see again in this life. But what is mixed in with that grief impacts the toll it takes on us. I saw that in these two funerals.

Zela had led a full life. She left behind an extended family that honored her and cherished her in life. Not surprisingly, her funeral was a time of celebration over a life that was well-lived. Grief was there, but its impact was lessened by the realization that Zela left behind a legacy of love. Although she might have lived for several more years, there was a sense in which it was OK for her to go, because her life had been completed.

Even though I never laid eyes on Zac, the sense of grief I felt as I sat in the church that day was overwhelming. It was the same emotion--grief is grief--but the grief experienced over Zac's death was intensified by the loss of a life that will not be lived. We felt in our hearts a tiny measure of the sense of unfairness and tragedy that caused such agony for Zac's family. It just wasn't right for such innocence to be taken away.

Which makes the sense of peace and even joy that found their way into Zac's funeral even more remarkable. I want to share more about this in my next post, but for now, I will tell you that I am amazed at the hope and confidence that come from people who put their trust in God; the God who raised his Son from the grave and promises to not abandon us there either. When that trust was tested in a way that I can't begin to fathom, faith won out. I know the battle will forever be fought to some degree in the hearts of Zac's family, at least in this life, but the outcome is certain. With this family, God is their champion and his victory is theirs.

That certainty was stated by a hymn sung by a soloist from Zac's church. The words of the hymn are attributed originally to St. Patrick as a prayer when he feared attack on a dangerous but vital journey. They were later composed into a hymn. It is titled, "I bind unto Myself Today." The version sung at Zac's funeral was composed by Charles Villiers Stanford.

What rich imagery! To bind ourselves to something is to anchor oureslves to it, to hold on for dear life. The words of this song are not to be taken lightly. They have sustained Christians in their darkest hours. May the conviction stated by these words encourage and strengthen us.

I bind unto myself this day
the strong Name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same the
Three in One and One in Three.

I bind this day to me for ever,
by pow'r of faith, Christ's incarnation;
his baptism in the Jordan river;
his death on the cross for my salvation;
his bursting from the spic-ed tomb;
his riding up the heav'nly way;
his coming at the day of doom:
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself today
the power of God to hold and lead,
his eye to watch, his might to stay,
his ear to hearken to my need;
the wisdom of my God to teach,
his hand to guide, his shield to ward;
the word of God to give me speech,
his heav'nly host to be my guard.

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
the strong name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in One and One in Three;
of whom all nature has creation,
eternal Maker, Spirit, Word;
praise to the God of our salvation,
salvation is of Christ the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment