Thursday, January 22, 2009

Should Doctrine Change?

John Mark Hicks is writing a 3 part series on the history of the "women and silence" issue in Churches of Christ. Click here to reach his website. At the time of this writing he has posted two parts.

Isn't it interesting how doctrinal truths that we frequently attach a "thus sayeth the Lord" to have a way of changing? I've been thinking of some of the shifts I have seen in my lifetime. Issues like instrumental music, attitudes toward other religious groups, the use of alcohol, praise teams, how to treat those divorced and remarried, are a few that come to mind. Most churches with whom I feel an affinity of perspective have changed a great deal in attitude toward these issues; some have even changed in practice.

I find it interesting that underlying these changes has been another shift in how people interpret the Bible, but not a lessening of its authority. In fact, it can be said that the shifts have more closely aligned us with Scripture and away from our own traditions, but I know not everyone feels that way.

In my own case, my spiritual ancestors encouraged me to heed the voice of Scripture even over their own voices. We were frequently admonished in sermons, "Don't take my word for it, read the Bible yourself." I don't think those who encouraged this realized that we might reach different conclusions, but they were setting the stage for where so many of us are now.

It troubles me that there are those within my circle of fellowship who are troubled by me and others who have interpretations that sometimes are radically different than their own. I wish it were not that way, but honestly, when have any of us ever totally agreed? Admittedly, though, the shifts of late are much closer to what many consider to be doctrinal truths.

I hope they will be at least somewhat comforted with the realization that more often than not, the changes that have occurred have been fueled not by a desire to compromise or to become like others, which is often asserted, but by a desire to more closely align ourselves to the will of God as expressed in the Bible. That is a spirit we inherited from them, and I think it is a blessing.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, Pastor Tim! And I can't wait to read the series you linked.

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of me thinks women should have the right to be the leaders at the front of the church. There are so many traits that women have that would greatly change the church for good. In my younger years I would have fought for this.
    Now after my REALLY long life – I have decided that the women who fought so hard to be treated as equals to have all the same rights to work and pay, have actually created a prison for my generation. I am in the generation where being a stay at home mom is no longer an option unless we can find a way to bring in that salary in our free time. We have proven we can handle anything – now we are forced to take care of everything. I for one think the church needs to return to the gender roles God laid out for us. I think today’s men is not sensitive and caring but instead emotional and a mooch. Today’s woman is angry, upset and bitter from all the stress she has to carry.
    The church needs to revaluate the way they teach and portray the Role of the husband/provider to the next generation. I have heard more times then I would ever imagine young men say. “Well I think I will get an exciting job like a cartoonist or travel writer, my wife will make enough money to support the family.” Who is raising the kids? The lack of both parents in the home is what is creating the generations becoming worse and worse. Now you wonder when do you teach sex to your kids: 5? 6 years old?, because you know they won’t be in your care until after 6:30pm Monday – Friday (excluding National Holidays)
    So you ask yourself, do you want to be told you have to stay home or be told you never can?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britni-

    I don't think I would agree with your generalizations about men and women, but I think you are right on target when you talk about how the shift in gender roles hasn't served us very well. I also share your concern about the generation that will be the product of how our priorities have been misplaced.

    ReplyDelete