Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Two Funerals, continued

Another thought about the funeral for Zac Thomas, which I began in my last post:

Zac's parents are members of Redeemer Presbyterian Church, but the funeral was held at St. David's Episcopal, a historic church in downtown Austin. (I have the impression that Redeemer is currently meeting in temporary facilities). Going in, I wasn't sure if this would be a formal, highly liturgical church or one that is more contemporary. As with so many other denominations, there are radically different stripes of Presbyterians. I was hoping for the latter; turned out to be the former. There was a big pipe organ, clergy wearing robes, very formal structure, and a lot of thee's and thou's. Certainly, St David's Episcopal was an appropriate location for their style of service.

I have to confess that I tend to be somewhat condescending toward this sort of thing. I have often wondered how people find meaning in such ritualistic and antiquated practices. It seems to lack a personal and intimate connection with God. But at some point early in the service, I was convicted of how wrong that opinion is. I found the funeral to be very meaningful and the people there to have a deep faith in God.

One of the dominant thoughts I had throughout the hour long service was how ecclesiastical it was. The whole thing seemed scripted by centuries of church tradition, yet I found a lot of power and even reassurance in that. The church, in their perspective, has a long history of speaking authoritatively for God. Whereas I am part of a group that has a greater awareness of "being" the church, I had the impression they view the church as being "over" them, more of a hierarchical force that guides them. That view served them well, and, surprisingly, I found it to be meaningful too.

During this most difficult hour, it was the voice of that tradition that seemed to take hold of those of us who were there and say, "We know this is hard, but as we have for a very long time, we are going to point you to the one who is able to sustain you." Although the minister shared a very personal and appropriate homily, it was the voice of the church that I heard most clearly. That voice stood above us and forcefully directed us to find strength in God. The voice of the church refused to allow us to go where we might otherwise go during such a confusing time. As I told the minister afterwards, the service was very orienting.

I hope I will remember this lesson. I don't think I will ever be in agreement with the doctrine and practices of this church, but neither do I want to be so judgmental; to feel that those who approach God in a different way than I do are limited in their ability to know and depend upon him. I don't agree with all that they might believe, but for that matter, neither do I agree with everything taught by people in the same fellowship of which I am a part. On this day, I am thankful for the faith in God that was manifested by the Christians at Redeemer Presbyterian Chruch. God was honored.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these past two posts....POWERFUL!!!

    Keep posting bro!

    DU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there; with Zac, the family, the minister, and those who surrounded the immediate and extended family to support them in this difficult time of worship. As difficult as it was, it was worship. I attend Redeemer Presbyterian Church and truly appreciate your fair and honest comments. I also have learned to appreciate a worship experience at Redeemer that I did not grow up with. My first liturgical service was almost 20 years ago and quite frankly I found it a bit creepy. That is until I began meeting with the Minister of that church. It was over the next few months that I began to understand that the church didn't arrive when I started attending. It has been here for centuries. It has fought battles and suffered persecution that I have the privilege to only read about. Wow, the church is bigger than me! It is anchored in history and has been preserved, protected, sustained and being built by her Groom. As I observed Zac's little casket, listened to the occasional sob of the family and those who suffered along with them, it was comforting to know that Christ, our Elder Brother and sympathetic High Priest, along with Acrh Angels and the host of heaven were present. Zac was beholding a glory that we only know in part. Every Sunday we ascend into the presence of Christ and those who, without ceasing, offer up eternal praise to God. We don't do this metaphorically, we actually enter their unseen presence and it matters what we do and what we say while we are there. Each week we are invited to feast at the table of our Lord to taste and see that He is good, he is merciful and He desires our fellowship. The service we perform in His presence is what reminds us that we are forgiven, declares His glory, strengthens us for occasions such as Zac's funeral and equips us to go into the world with full confidence that at the resurrection Christ, Christ has overturned all the opposition we encounter every day. He is redeeming all things and binding together all those who confess His name. Reading your words is a great reminder of how diverse and lovely the bride of Christ is. Though we worship in different places and in different ways, we are bound together by the love of Christ and His atoning work on the cross. Thank you again for your comments and may God bless you as you serve Him and His people.

    Every blessing,

    JS

    ReplyDelete