Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Those Who Stand Beside Us

I wanted to show this video this past Sunday as part of a sermon I preached on elders, but there wasn't time. Sorry, but I still can't figure out how to embed a video, so you'll have to click here. It's not very good quality, but I think you'll be able to follow it. Once you've watched, come back and I'll share a few observations. BTW: Feel free to forward this to an elder or two that you know.

Now that you've watched the video, here are a few thoughts:

The singer is Natalie Gilbert, who won a local talent search for the chance to sing that night. I can understand being so nervous in that setting that she would forget the lyrics. The fact that Natalie had been sick that week and was running a high fever makes me want to be even more gracious to her. The coach who came to her aid is Maurice "Mo" Cheeks, an NBA legend who as a player had a reputation for being a decent guy. No doubt this was the best assist of his career.

I see such a powerful parallel between what Mo did that night with what shepherds are to do in the church. One of my favorite references to elders in the New Testament is in Rev. 5:1-5. John was distraught to the point of tears ("I wept and wept" v4) because no one was found worthy to open the scroll that he saw in his vision. But then an elder comes along side John and points him to Jesus. I can think of no better description of the role and value of any elder than that.

That's something of what Coach Cheeks did. He saw someone who was having a rough time and he went along side her and did what he could to help. Later he said, "As I saw her stumble on the words, she looked helpless, and I just started walking. I had no idea what I was going to do, what I was going to say. But as I approached her, I just wanted to help her, and I didn't know if I even knew the words."

Did you notice Natalie looking off to the side after she faltered? In a later interview she said she was looking for her father, but was unable to see him. In that moment of panic, she might not have clearly seen her father, but thankfully, someone else was there to help. And just like her father, he was concerned about her and wanted to see her do better than she was at that particular moment.

Don't you think that is what we most need from our spiritual leaders? It may not be all we need, but it is what we most need. It ought to be the highest priority, the one thing that won't be neglected. We need those who will come to our aid spiritually and help out, even when they don't know what to say or do. You know, Mo was a pretty lousy singer, but just his presence and concern helped Natalie turn a defeat into an inspiring victory. Did you also notice how others joined in the chorus? Even players and coaches who have heard the national anthem thousands of times and probably normally tune it out were singing right along with Natalie and Mo.

I hope you are blessed with spiritual leaders who have figured out a way to keep the lesser demands from overpowering the most important ones. I hope they are by your side, pointing you to Jesus. The next time you see one like that, pat him on the rear end and say, "Nice assist." Or maybe you can just send a card.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. He's our "ever present help in times of trouble." And this girl was in trouble indeed. Way to go Mo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great assist by my man MO, and great analogy by my MAIN may Timmy C!! Awesome post, bro!

    DU

    ReplyDelete