Thursday, February 12, 2009

Declining Churches: Why Are We Surprised?

I was saddened by the recent article in Christian Chronicle about the decline in Churches of Christ. (You can register at www.christianchronicle.org and view it online. The article probably will be available without registering at some point, but is not at this writing.)

What saddens me is not the decline, although it does to some extent, but that is no surprise. Anyone who is very involved at all in our fellowship has to have known this for years. What bothered me the most were the comments by some of the people who were interviewed. For example, a preacher from Houston described visiting churches where there were few or no children, which is a good indication that a church is on the ropes. His comment: "This should be a wake-up call...to share our faith more actively."

Isn't that a lot like telling people on the Titanic to row faster? The problem I humbly observe with so many Churches of Christ is not a lack of desire to share their faith. I don't mean to sound judgmental, but in my opinion the problem is that their version of the faith is not worth sharing. In so many Churches of Christ there is a fundamental flaw that makes those churches unsustainable.

Having grown up in small rural churches (sometimes rural in mindset even though they were located in cities), I can look back and see that flaw. Before I share my perspective on it, I first want to say that I was blessed to be surrounded by some of the most wonderful people in the world during those years. Seeds were planted in me that later would make an invaluable contribution to my life. But all of those churches fit the category of being in decline. They all are just rowing along, not so merrily. Some are listing so badly that you wonder how much longer they will stay afloat.

The flaw in my spiritual heritage was a misplaced center of faith. We believed that the way to have access to God was through a correct understanding of the Bible. What many churches have thankfully come to see is that the way to have access to God is through a relationship with Jesus. The Bible is a means to that end, not the end itself. Besides being theologically incorrect, one of the reasons I see such an approach as being unsustainable is that it robs the Bible of its purpose and power. I'll give you an example.

I remember enough from those years to recall that the majority of sermons I heard were on doctrinal issues. That makes sense, because if the way we get to God is through correct understanding of Scripture, we need to address the misunderstandings that are out there. So I knew a lot about what the Bible had to say about doctrinal issues. (I no longer agree with a lot of those teachings, but that's another post.) The problem was that when it came time for me to decide what kind of person I was going to be and whether or not God was going to be a factor in those decisions, knowing what the Bible said about baptism, or instrumental music, or a long list of other matters that made up the typical repertoire of sermons had absolutely no impact. I failed miserably, in part because the faith that had been instilled in me didn't do what I needed it to do. It couldn't. So, it's no wonder that such churches are in decline. Who wants a faith like that?

I don't want to give the impression that I think those churches were and are devoid of the presence of God. I can see where you might think that. In my mind, I see it as a journey. Sometimes we got off course and are not traveling in the direction God would have us go. It's not that we're rebelliously running away, we're just off course. Map readers like Ruell Lemmons, Rubel Shelley, and many others helped point this out. Other map readers like Jim Woodroof and Max Lucado helped us get reoriented. A lot of us chose to make course corrections, some of us did not.

So I hope that a lot of those churches that are in decline will find a better solution than "We need to try harder." I'm not anticipating it, but I hope they will look deeper than that and see where they might have veered off course. I also hope that the rest of us are not through making course corrections. I suspect those are going to be required until the journey is over. Perhaps the verse I share in the heading of this blog from Ps. 85 will help us.

10 comments:

  1. Tim, from my perspective I think you hit the nail on the head. There were (are) other mistakes also, but you pointed out the foundational problem that all the others stemmed from......making doctrinal purity the #1 priority as opposed to making our relationship with Christ the top priority. I have seen MANY MANY people who had a "correct understanding of the Bible" but who lived a life that looked NOTHING like discipleship.

    Thanks for your insights, boldness, and especially for the spirit in which you communicated. PREACH ON BROTHER!! :)

    DU

    ReplyDelete
  2. So eloquently stated. I've been trying to say that, but you said it so well. Thank you!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tim. I appreciated your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Tim. Well said. We could, of course, go further and say that not only will the orthodoxy & orthopraxy lead to congregational decline, they are also a form of heresy, because in essence an approach that says, "I am saved because I am correct," leaves Jesus out, and any view that says Jesus is unnecessary is, according to Galatians, a damnable heresy. So it's not just that substituting a "correct understanding of the Bible" for a relationship with Jesus is an inferior approach - it is a spiritually poisonous one.
    Thanks for your life and faith. It encourages me.
    We miss you here.
    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim ... Thank you for again bringing our focus back to Jesus. My grandfather preached in the CofC for 65 years, and yes ... he did have some of those doctrinal sermons in his 'sermon library', but never did I hear him place that "priority" above our relationship to God through Jesus Christ as THE priority. He was preaching forgiveness, grace and mercy especially in the 50's-'60's-70's when that was not the thing to do w/in the CofC - because "the Baptist were doing it". I never did feel that I was missing the real truth of the scriptures because he wasn't pounding the pulpit on the hot topic of the brotherhood. He just preferred to preach Jesus. I echo the comment of DU ... preach on!
    ~~ Still missing you guys ... Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. "What many churches have thankfully come to see is that the way to have access to God is through a relationship with Jesus."

    I couldn't agree more. One real problem is that it is so very difficult to develop a relationship with Jesus through religion (Church). The relationship has to come first, it seems. ("God added those who were being saved.") Churches choose to focus on maintenance in order to keep on being Church (institution), i.e. pay for the building, pay the preacher, buy communion cups, toilet paper, song books, pay for someone to cut the grass, etc, etc. One can't choose God AND religion. You either seek God only and completely or you buy into the religion thing, i.e. attend church, be involved with its many programs, give your money to Church, let the Church teach your kids, etc. The best that Churches can do to promote personal relationships with Jesus among its members is to release its members to develop that relationship...send them out to their neighborhoods where they will have to trust God completely for their spiritual well-being. Church has to die to live. Churches, generally, have created weak, dependent,arrogant "disciples of Church" and therefore are dieing.

    --Steve Holt Sr.
    www.sholtsr.wordpress.com
    (It's difficult to sign on other than as anonymous. Sorry...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also think another factor is that most COC have a very sall following of people in their 20s. Being in that age group - I hear from others that this is the opportunity to escape from all the rules of the COC. Some return when the fear of raising their children as good people scares them into inflicting those rules on their own kids. My personal opinion is that too many COC members get hung up on the practices and the rules - they are stuck as "head christians" and never make the change to "heart christians" - it is the heart christians that cant help but tell everyone about their faith.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After worshiping with another denomination for many years; and then coming to worship at a C of C church now, I feel sometimes there is not enough time in services to let the Holy Spirit move as He desires. We miss out on His Powerful Presence many times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Holy Spirit is not allowed in the COC worship service. "Shhhh be quiet, dont sing to loud, put your hands down, stop wiggiling - people will think your dancing ..."

    ReplyDelete