Thursday, June 11, 2009

More on Making Disciples

I'm a big fan of Dan Kimball. He and I live in worlds that look something like what you might see in a rift in the space-time continuum (That's really different worlds for those of you who need a primer on Star Trek TNG terminology), but what I have read and heard from him rings true to me. His book and video series "They Like Jesus But Not the Church" is eye opening. He addresses the dilemma we face in reaching a post-modern world, but he does so as one of us and as one who is convinced that the gospel is relevant to every age and culture.

A few months ago he shared some of his observations about the missional church that I think relate to what I wrote in my last blog. Here's an excerpt: Another outspoken advocate of the house church model sees it as more missional and congruent with the early church. But his church has the same problem. After fifteen years it hasn't multiplied. It's a wonderful community that serves the homeless, but there's no evidence of non-Christians beginning to follow Jesus.

You can read the full article here.

Kimball isn't knocking house churches, and neither would I. I think they provide a positive way to live in Christian community that works well for a lot of people. But no matter what type of faith community we are in, it still comes down to making disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment