Friday, June 26, 2009

Change is Good

I've been using my TNIV (cf. May 21 & 28 posts) for my own time of personal Bible reading. I am surprised at how difficult it has been to get used to different wording. Even though the TNIV in most places reads the same as the NIV, there are enough passages that are worded differently to throw off my rhythm.

For example, yesterday I was reading the account of the demon-possessed man in Mk. 5. When the man saw Jesus, the NIV has him saying "Swear to God that you won't torture me;" the TNIV reads, "In God's name don't torture me!" It's not a significant change at all, but when you've spent 20 years reading the Bible almost exclusively from the same translation, it can be a little disorienting to hear even a few slight variances.

But I'm going to stay with it, not only because I think the TNIV is a better translation of God's word, but also because I believe much of my relationship with God is about change.

It's interesting to me how, in some circles, "change agent" is used pejoratively; "new" is viewed with suspicion. I remember some of the discussions a couple of decades ago about whether or not it was OK to sing new songs. (In spite of the fact that six times in Psalms we are told to "sing to the Lord a new song"!)

I don't like giving in to the uncomfortableness of change. If we, individually or as churches, had arrived, this would not be such an issue. But, at least in my case, I still have so much growing to do that, actually, I ought to be making major changes every day! Even then, I don't think I would ever get caught up.

I'm glad God accepts us with our imperfections, but I'm also glad he calls us to change in ways that will make us more like his son. I have heard this from several people (but I don't know where it originated, so I can't name the source) and I think it makes a good mantra for the Christian life: "God loves us just as we are, but he loves us too much to leave us there."

1 comment: