Thursday, May 28, 2009

More on the TNIV

I appreciate the comments from the last post. (Craig, good to connect with an "old" college chum again.) Would love to hear even more comments.

The first anonymous commenter raised a couple of valid concerns. Would such a switch be a threat to male servant/leadership? Would it be brought on because of an unhealthy acquiescence to culture? Those are both legitimate questions to raise. I don't think I am motivated by either, but I appreciate the reminder. (BTW: June 6 I will begin a series of lessons about living Christian lives in our culture. For those not around, it will be available online here. Just don't listen while driving or operating heavy equipment.)

I see two strong reasons to begin using the TNIV in my preaching. I already mentioned one in the last post. I don't want to place an obstacle to the hearing of the gospel before anyone, especially those who might not have heard it before. The other reason has to do with accuracy.

Here's an example from the text I will use this Sunday, Mt. 6:14,15.

NIV: For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

TNIV: For if you forgive others when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

The word translated as "men" in the NIV and "others" in the TNIV is anthropos. The standard Greek Lexicon (BDAG) lists as the first usage: "a person of either sex... a human being." In the language of our day, "men" has come to communicate something to a lot of people that doesn't accurately reflect what Jesus said.

So I guess the question for me is this: IF there is a translation that is more accurate than the one I have used the last 30 years and IF that translation will present the gospel in our time in ways that are less offensive and more likely to be heard, why wouldn't I switch?

1 comment:

  1. Precisely. That's all I meant in my earlier comment. God bless, Tim! :)

    ReplyDelete