Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Reclaiming Emotion in Worship

I saw a performance by the BYU combined choruses several years ago on PBS and was so moved by it. I'm glad the climax of that performance has recently resurfaced on YouTube. It is an absolutely overpowering rendition of a classic Christian hymn. You will be moved when you watch this.

Pay special attention to a young lady who first appears about 5:15 into the video. It's a shame the resolution of the video is not sufficient for you to clearly make out the tears running down her cheek. Her heartfelt response to what she is singing adds so much to the experience. I want to stand next to her in the heavenly choir!

I actually learned how to imbed a video this week--it's amazing what reading the directions will do--, but I think this one is a little better directly from the YouTube site. Click here to watch it. After you experience the video, you might be interested in some thoughts I have below.

* * * * *

This past Sunday, as part of a series on worship, I preached on the importance of celebration in our worship assemblies. I think it was just in time. One of our members told me a few weeks ago that her 5 year old granddaughter said to her, "You're church is quiet, Grandma. It's good for old people." Too sad to be funny.

I'm thankful for the blessings we have inherited from past generations of Christians. In so many ways we drink from wells we did not dig. But this is one area where I wish we could go back and start over.

The focus of the sermon was that the celebration of what God has done, especially through Jesus, is at the heart of Christian worship. That's why I'm such a proponent of those outward expressions-tears, smiles, hands lifted, clapping, being on our knees. Worshipers have been physically demonstrative for thousands of years in their adoration of God and how he has worked. What a loss it was for so many churches to feel like expressions of the heart should be squelched.

I know it is possible for us to be worshiping with our hearts while being outwardly reserved, but why would we want to? As I said on Sunday, why would we deprive God of the full expression of our gratitude? It would be like someone showing up at my door to share that I won the $10 million prize, only for me to reservedly thank him as I close the door. I guess it's true that we can't experience that level of sensation every time we worship, but surely we can some of the time.

I'm so thankful that throughout our fellowship as well as among other groups of disciples, people have begun to reclaim what we never should have abandoned. Like David said to someone in 2 Sam. 6 who tried to squelch his joy, "...I will celebrate before the Lord!"

5 comments:

  1. Amen! The "joy of the Lord" is Christianity's best (worst) kept secret, and when the moving of the Holy Spirit is described in the New Testament, that moving is often described in terms of an emotional experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for allowing the Holy Spirit move in your life, and thus flow over into worship service. If we don't praise Him, the rocks will! I'd rather praise Him with my whole being than let the rocks do it for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree Tim. You said, "I know it is possible for us to be worshiping with our hearts while being outwardly reserved, but why would we want to?"

    I've been hearing from a lot of guys lately when talking to them about starting a new expressive men's worship, "Well, expressiveness just isn't for me. I worship better in quiet contemplation."

    Now I'm not going to tell someone they're wrong for that. But I've just thought over the past couple of years, "Can you really be having Spirit filled worship without EVER allowing yourself to be moved physically?" I know there's a time for dancing and a time for kneeling, but for someone to tell me dancing is just never for them...makes me wonder if it shouldn't be.

    I don't want it to sound like I'm trying to change people. I'm just trying to understand. I know in any given situation the best thing I can do is to pray that the Spirit convicts mine and everyone's hearts to sincere praise of God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said: "I know it is possible for us to be worshiping with our hearts while being outwardly reserved, but why would we want to?"

    For some of us clapping, raising of hands, people shouting out is very disruptive to our worship...and there are times when it appears there is no awe or reverence for the Holy God. If you will watch those who may be worshiping in a more reserved manner, you may see tears...of joy, of remembrance, of thanks. There are many songs that I sing through my tears. There are times a message or prayer brings tears.

    People are different, and when the atmosphere resembles a football game, I find worship difficult. Outward expressions may not be worship...they may just mean you've been caught up in a frenzy of emotion.

    For people whose personalities fit a more expressive style, I understand, and I guve you that freedom...but, please, allow me to worship in my more reserved way without judging.

    ReplyDelete