Friday, March 27, 2009

Emotion in Worship Revisited

There was a thoughtful comment on the post I made about emotion in worship. Since most readers have already read that post and are unlikely to see subsequent comments, I thought I would post it and my response here. I think the anonymous reader (I don't mind comments being anonymous as long as they are in a good spirit) raises a concern shared by a lot of people.

The comment: You said: "I know it is possible for us to be worshiping with our hearts while being outwardly reserved, but why would we want to?"

For some of us clapping, raising of hands, people shouting out is very disruptive to our worship...and there are times when it appears there is no awe or reverence for the Holy God. If you will watch those who may be worshiping in a more reserved manner, you may see tears...of joy, of remembrance, of thanks. There are many songs that I sing through my tears. There are times a message or prayer brings tears.

People are different, and when the atmosphere resembles a football game, I find worship difficult. Outward expressions may not be worship...they may just mean you've been caught up in a frenzy of emotion.

For people whose personalities fit a more expressive style, I understand, and I guve you that freedom...but, please, allow me to worship in my more reserved way without judging.

My response: In asking the question, I don't mean to sound judgmental. The purpose is to make the point that it is a good thing to express outwardly what we feel inwardly.

Using the example from the comment, aren't tears an outward expression of our heart? ( I listed tears as an example in the original post.) It would be a shame if someone felt that he or she should squelch that expression for some reason. I think that same principle can be carried out to other expressions of emotion as well.

It is possible for people to express joy and other emotions without their hearts being in it. It's also possible for people to sing without their hearts being it, or even to sit and not sing, but their hearts be fully engaged. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't want to assume someone who is outwardly non-expressive isn't worshiping. I didn't mean to give that impression.

It works the other way too. I shouldn't assume that someone who is outwardly expressive is caught up in a frenzy of emotion. It may very well be that their action is not an absence of reverence and awe, but is prompted by reverence and awe. Reverence does not mean quiet; it means being aware of the presence of God.

Quite a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment