Saturday, December 27, 2008

Still Techno challenged

Having admitted that I am technologically challenged, yesterday was quite an adventure. The contract was up on our family cell phones, plus we wanted to switch to local numbers, so the day after Christmas Belinda, Jeff and I were the first customers into the AT&T store. My game plan was simple: Go for it. It was time to expand my horizons, to go from a 2 year old basic phone to some level of a smart phone; maybe not a Rhodes Scholar, but at least one that might make the dean's list. When we left 2 hours later, I was hoping my phone could dunk a basketball, because it definitely isn't going to go far with its smarts. In fact, it isn't all that different from what I went in with, except for a few updated features.

When it came time to make a two year commitment, I just couldn't get excited about paying all of that money for features I felt were unnecessary. I'm usually not far from a computer for more than a couple of hours, so the ability to access the internet or to receive e-mail didn't impress me. I see text messaging as an interruption. Honestly, do we need to be that accessible? (I was in a Body Pump class last year when a high school girl was texting between each exercise set. Was it really that urgent for her to know that Heather heard that Kevin might ask Julie out unless Britney breaks up with David?) I already have a 4 year old mp3 player with a whole 1 mb of memory. All of the really good songs ever recorded easily fit on that.

The only feature I was interested in was the ability to sync my calendar with my phone. But why pay $200+ for a phone, plus an extra $20/month added to my plan just for that? Besides, they're making sticky notes in some really cool colors these days. So Belinda and I got cheap, "buy 1 get 1 free" phones that make blurry photos and can be used for texting, if you don't mind spending 5 minutes to write a one-line message. But they do make phone calls, so I'm happy.

However, just to show that I do intend to stretch myself technologically on this blog, as promised, I will post the first photo taken by my new phone.



Now where are those John Denver albums?

6 comments:

  1. I for one can not survive without my smart phone. Due to my 24/7 job schedule smart phones let me go to Wednesday Night church (although I am sure my emailing bugs belinda) also it saves me about $20 a mont in 411 calls becuase i can just get the store number off the website, not to mention the gas $$ it saves not driving all over town. Also I can text Ryan sunday mornings during church and say "stop talking to sean sandafur - tim is talking" haha! Once you make the leap there is no going back. Oh did i mention Zain loves my phone becuae it buzzes me and reminds me to go pick him up - with my memory he woudl be at brentwood for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Tim. Got me laughing. Mainly because I am one of those guys with a smart phone that I use...mmmm....20% of its features. What was I thinking?! Anyway, i can't wait to see and meet you guys in March. I look forward to us spending some time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your picture made me LOL! Do you really have a record player or is that off the Net? :) --Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britni- You are the poster child for the way technology is supposed to work. I'm in awe. BTW: Didn't mention that my son got an I Phone. Got to admit I could have a lot of fun with that. Bet it plays great solitaire.

    Julie- Definitely the real deal. Still works, although the records are a bit scratchy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. -Tim, my daughter told me I had to come into 2009 with a new (basic phone)..O.K., I am excited, but truly all I need is to make phone calls; no camera, etc,etc. Welcome to my world! I have texting, media, e-mail, banking, new ring tones, blah, blah..... I guess it was my frustration that took out my address book!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am now the joke for my teenager.....he looks at my "images" button to see what random picture I have taken today while talking!!!! He of course is an advanced duel thumb texter. So my lack of cell phone wisdom just cracks him up. We've had some laughs trying to figure out what I have taken a picture of.

    ReplyDelete